Allentown is a Top 5 "Overlooked Dream City" with fewer than 300,000 residents according to Goodcall.com.
Data analysts from GoodCall.com released the 2017 list of <Overlooked Dream Cities> today highlighting cities with fewer than 300,000 people that offer a well-rounded lifestyle. Notably dominating the top of the list are cities in the Northeast and Midwest:
1. Erie, PA
2. Scranton, PA
3. Parma, OH
4. Appleton, WI
5. Allentown, PA
Racine, WI, Grand Rapids, MI, Cicero, IL, East Orange, NJ and Green Bay, WI rank 6th through 10th.
“Instead of moving to big cities, many people are looking for smaller, more affordable cities that still have fun things to do,” says Claire Etheridge, Data analyst for GoodCall.com. “Cities at the top of our list are walkable, with lots of restaurants and attractions. They also feature lower costs of living and crime rates so residents can get out and enjoy all the city has to offer.”
Cities were ranked on five criteria:
- Crime Rate - The number of crime incidents per 1000 residents
- Dining Amenities - The number of local restaurants per capita
- Affordability - The area’s cost of living percentage relative to the national average
- Walk Score - A number between 0 and 100 that measures the walkability of any address
- Entertainment/Recreation Amenities - The number of local arts, entertainment and recreation venues per capita
Data sources included the U.S. Census Bureau, FBI Crime Data, Sperling’s Bestplaces, and Walk Score.
The full report/methodology can be found here: https://www.goodcall.com/data-center/2017-overlooked-dream-cities/
About GoodCall.com: The core mission of GoodCall is to help people make easier personal finance decisions about college, careers and beyond. GoodCall provides tools, resources and data insights to make financial independence a reality for students, recent graduates, families and retirees.