The Human Relations Commission of the City of Allentown will honor one individual, two businesses and two organizations for their commitment to diversity at the 36th Annual Awards Celebration to be held at 5:30 pm on Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2013 at the Barristers Club.
The ceremony honors community members, businesses, and organizations who celebrate Allentown’s diversity through their long-term commitments to a better city for all who live and work here. Those being honored by the Commission are:
• Fernando Vasquez for his volunteer work with Allentown’s immigrant community
• Allentown Symphony Association for its commitment to accessibility and for providing free programming to at risk & under-served children & youth
• SmileKrafters for providing dental outreach, information, supplies, & services to under-served children & for sponsorship of many children’s activities
• Ripple Mennonite Church’s Food Pantry Leadership Team for its dedication to feeding people in need
• William Allen High School’s Latino Leadership Club for developing leadership while providing cultural understanding both in the school and in the larger community
Keynote speaker for the event will be Pennsylvania State Representative Brian Sims, the state’s first openly gay state representative.
The event will include a musical performance by El Sistema, youth performers from Allentown Symphony Association’s program that helped earn them their award recognition.
The event is open to the public and the entire community is encouraged to attend.
Sign language interpretation services will be available.
“It gives me great pleasure to honor those individuals, organizations and businesses that have gone beyond the call to bridge the gaps between our residents, business owners and visitors of different cultures, ethnic origins, races, ages and backgrounds,” said Mayor Ed Pawlowski. “I congratulate all the award winners. They are very special people in this community and it is great that their contributions do not go unnoticed.”
La Voz Latino is a sponsor of this event. The Commission is currently seeking additional sponsors of the event.Ticket Information:
Tickets are $35 each, with tables of eight available for $300. A cash bar will be provided. A reception will be held at 5:30 pm, and the program will begin at 6:30 pm.
To make a reservation for the event, please mail a check made payable to the City of Allentown to Jean Brossman, Allentown City Hall, 3rd Floor, Allentown, PA 18101. The deadline is Thursday, October 17, 2013.
(Photos are available for Fernando Vasquez, SmileKrafters and WAHS Latino Leadership Club. For photos, please call 610-216-2900 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org